Statement of PurposeThe DeShawn Snow Foundation is a non-profit organization under section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. The Foundation will work on a national level to develop and implement workshops, seminars, camps and other activities. These are designed to build self-esteem and promote cultural, educational, health, physical fitness, social, professional development and volunteerism among youths of all socio-economic backgrounds that suffer from low self-esteem, lack of confidence, and peer pressure. The foundation’s primary focus is to work with underprivileged and disadvantaged teenage girls between the ages of 11 and 17.
Goals & Objectives
- Build Self-Esteem and Confidence in teenage girls ages 11-17 by developing and implementing an assessment tool that will assist the foundation in designing and carrying out programs and services that will meet the specific needs of each girl registered in our program; while at the same time providing us with a tool to measure our success.
- Improve Methods of Communication by encouraging candid and open dialogue among teenage girls of diverse backgrounds while exposing them to various mediums of communication: internet discussion forums, daily journal writing, radio and television programs, newspaper articles, and newsletters that foster and cultivate relationships with mentors and others to facilitate a nurturing transition from adolescence to woman hood.
- Provide Educational and Professional Development by making tutorial services available to enhance and/or improve the girls’ willingness and ability to learn. Additionally, we want to work with professionals in the field on an ongoing basis to develop and support workshops and seminars that stimulate career development.
- Provide Social and Cultural Awareness by providing the girls with the opportunity to interact and socialize with girls from different cultures, races, and socio-economic backgrounds. In doing so, we hope to tear down stereotypes and negative behaviors in efforts to build bridges and resolve conflicts for better understanding and community relationships. We will discuss various issues that impact their lives and well-being and provide opportunities to expose them to music and the arts.
- Promote and Encourage Healthy Life Styles by teaching the girls to focus on three aspects: Mind, Body, and Spirit; while providing them with various camps and activities that have workshops and seminars designed to get the girls active in sports, weight management, nutrition, and image development. The girls will also participate in mini workshops with health care professionals who will address various issues identified by the youth in the assessment tool.
- Promote Volunteerism through creating opportunities for the girls to participate and give back to the community by partnering and coordinating activities with other non-profit organizations such as shelters, hospital, nursing homes, and the like to stimulate community awareness.
- Provide Mentoring and Accessibility to High Powered Women and Celebrities by establishing a speaker’s bureau and putting on annual events such as a “Powerful Women’s Luncheon”. Doing so will motivate the teenage girls, create an environment that would encourage them to succeed, and the opportunity to have dialogue with women who have climbed the ladder of success.
- Develop and Implement an Awards and Incentive Program that will teach the girls responsibility and accountability for their own actions, achievements, and accomplishments.
- Identify Partnerships by collaborating with other entities with similar purposes in efforts to avoid duplication of endeavors and to strengthen the communities.
- Sponsor and Financially Support other non-profit organizations that have similar goals and objectives or who have programs working with teenage boys ages 11-17 in efforts to cross promote and stimulate healthy dialogue and interaction between boys and girls.